What a week!

Wow, so lots has happened since the last time I posted!

Last Monday, I went and volunteered at Martha’s Closet where I have been volunteering most of the summer. I really like it there. They are currently remodeling their U Street location so there has been a lot to do there. And because I never did end up finding a part-time job, that keeps me busy on the days I don’t go into my internship. Then Tuesday, I usually don’t go into work but I did because I took off Wednesday so that I could attend The Make Progress Summit hosted by Generation Progress. It was at the J.W. Marriot down near the Metro Center metro stop. It was a GREAT experience that I’m really glad I took advantage of. I met a lot of really great people and got to listen to some really influential speakers including Vice President, Joe Biden, House Minority Leader, Nancy Pelosi, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Thursday, I worked and had a visit from Darwin Kysor from the JC Career Services office in the morning and then had lunch at a great thai restaurant with him and two other interns from JC in the D.C. area. That night, I met up with my friend Cat for dinner so it was nice to catch up with her too!

I also forgot to mention in my last post that last week on Thursday I attended a film screening at Johns Hopkins SAIS Auditorium hosted by WorldAffairsDC. They showed a documentary entitled “Not My Life” which is a 2011 American independent documentary film about human trafficking and contemporary slavery. It was a great film, extremely moving. Afterwards, we had a discussion with a former CIA agent who had investigated human trafficking cases. I also made a good connection with a law student who was a Peace Corps member.

Anyways, Friday I went into work, but was actually able to leave early around 3:00 p.m. because not much was going on. I had been experiencing some issues with my eyes. They weren’t bad at the time and I just chalked it up to allergies because I have bad allergies that will randomly flare up. On Friday, when I got out early I decided to try to go to the Emergency Care doctor that accepted my insurance out in Vienna, Virginia. I took the metro out there, it was the absolute last stop on the orange line. So it took quite a bit and then I had a decent walk from the station to the office. Needless to say, with the normal office wait times and everything it took quite a while. I didn’t end up getting home home until about 8:30 when my friend Laura was supposed to be arriving to spend the night with me. I got back just in time and when I went outside to let her in, my two other friends Caitlyn and Arielle jumped out of the car! They had surprised me and I was so happy to have all of my best friends (minus a few) there for a night out in DC! It was a crazy, crazy night but I think we all had a lot of fun and got some IHOP in the morning on Saturday before they headed back home.

Side note, at my doctors appointment Friday they prescribed me some allergy eye drops which I picked up Saturday afternoon and proceeded to take as directed. That night, Jackson and I went down to Clarendon where we met up with our friend Nick and some of his other friends. We ended up spending the night at his place and when I woke up in the morning my eyes were SO swollen. They looked so horrible. Completely red, watery. So it turns out I had an ALLERGIC REACTION to the allergy eye drops I had been prescribed. I couldn’t make this up if I tried. So tomorrow, I am returning to an optimologist this time to get their opinion. My eyes are significantly less swollen now but still extremely red and irritated and I would like to figure out what exactly is going on. So Sunday, I had a pretty lazy day all day and same with today actually.

The other news is that I actually got a bomb dropped on me at my internship last week! My supervisor told me that we were going to conference call with her supervisor so that she could relay me some news. I was nervous at first but she said there was nothing to worry about. So when we finally called her she told me that DFN is going to be relocating their Washington, D.C. office to Virginia Beach. JULY 31. So I was like, uhmmmmm I’m supposed to be here until August 18? So Basically I am going to finish out my internship remotely and I am going to return home so I am not paying rent in D.C. for no reason. So this is not the most ideal situation, but it’s out of my control so I am trying to make the best of it. A lot of my work is via the computer anyways so it honestly shouldn’t be too much of a hassle. Plus they told me that I can probably take on some more social media responsibilities which I would really like. It’s actually sort of a blessing in disguise because I haven’t really been able to spend a lot of time with my family since I got back from my semester abroad and I was just going to go from here right back to school. So it will be good to spend some time with them before starting my senior year.

So I guess that’s all the updates for now! Happy Monday!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s